Remote Error logging allows for client systems and system services to relay errors to the Accelerator Services. These errors can then be viewed through Accelerator Maintenance in the 'Event Log' Module that is part of the 'User Access' application.
Remote error logging can be used to track down errors on client systems without checking each systems log individually. These feature 'phones home' any errors above a specified threshold to the systems Accelerator Service Host. The systems IT department can later review and diagnose these errors.
The system can also be configured to send emails to administrators to resolve critical errors, avoiding potential extended system downtime.
The data is stored in the 2 files located in the Accelerator Database:
- FWMD - Added Module Table Entry for Event Log
- FWJE - Added new file to store logging data
The following error levels can be set as configuration values. It is recommended to keep remote logging to a minimum in production systems as each message logged requires a service call. When running a large number of clients this can generate numerous service calls. Error is the recommended setting to avoid a large log file and unnecessary network traffic.
- Debug - This is the most verbose level and should not be used in production systems with the exception of limited debugging for short periods of time. It's primary purpose is tracking down issues when using the debugger is not an option.
- Info - Used to report statuses that do not impact performance or require action.
- Warn - Warnings of issues that could pose a problem, but do not require immediate action
- Error - System errors, typically used when trapping exceptions.
- Fatal - An error that causes the entire system to crash. Fatal errors are automatically reported when the entire application crashes due to an unhanded exception.
Configuration Settings in App config files for client systems
<!-- Remote Logging Settings (Client Settings) --> <add key="Logging.RemoteLoggingEnabled" value="True" /> <add key="Logging.RemoteLoggerLevel" value="Error" />
Configuration Settings in Web config files for system services
<!-- Remote Logging Settings --> <add key="Logging.RemoteLoggingEnabled" value="true" /> <add key="Logging.RemoteLoggerLevel" value="Error" /> <!-- Remote Logging Email Settings, Requires Remote Logging Enabled, Required SMTP Server (Service Only) --> <add key="Logging.SendEmailNotifications" value="false" /> <add key="Logging.EmailAddressSender" value="firstname.lastname@example.org" /> <add key="Logging.EmailNotificationLevel" value="Error" /> <add key="Logging.EmailAddressReceiver" value="email@example.com"/> <!-- Remote Logging Email SMTP Server Settings (Service Only) --> <add key="SMTP.Host" value="mailout.surroundtech.com"/> <add key="SMTP.Port" value="25"/> <add key="SMTP.SenderUserName" value="firstname.lastname@example.org"/> <add key="SMTP.SenderPassword" value="******"/>